2 14oz cans pear slices in juice, drained
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. For the pudding, preheat the oven to 400F and grease a 8½in square ovenproof dish or pie dish with butter.
2. Arrange the pear halves over the base of the dish.
3. Place all the remaining pudding ingredients into a food processor and blend to make a smooth batter with a soft dropping consistency. You can also just mix with hand mixer.
4. Spread the batter over the pears in the dish, then transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Cake will not cook all the way through - it remains a bit spongy.
5. Remove the pudding from the oven and let it stand for 5-10 minutes, then cut into slices.
6. Serve warm with hot fudge topping and/or ice cream.