One of my friends told me I should start a list of the characteristics I desire in a mate...that this list would guide me in my choice when the time comes. The time has not yet come, but I have over 150 qualifications on my list. It's a list which is good for a laugh now and then, or sometimes I meet a guy who scores high (he always turns out to be taken) and then it's dream-on time.
What I say I believe I want:
1) A man who exchanges favors with me; like, he paints my toenails and I balance his checkbook.
2) A man who cries when a person or pet he loves dies, or when his world caves in.
3) A man who does not criticize my cooking; who loves my pancakes and my chicken soup.
4) A man who will read novels to me at bedtime or on rainy days by the fire.
5) A man who can suggest what is best for me when I cannot figure it out.
6) A man who would never strike me physically, but would beat the shit out of another person who tried to harm me.
7) A man who thinks "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey are utterly appropriate and hilarious.
8) A man who does not hunt and kill animals.
9) A man who thinks a big breakfast on Saturday morning is a fun tradition.
10) A man who is equally finessed at fixing cars and mending broken hearts.
11) A man who likes old things, used things, recycling things, and fixing things.
12) A man who wouldn't mind supporting me if I took time off from work to write.